Wednesday, August 14, 2013

That Sixties' Sustain

The sound that made me want to play lead guitar rather than just rhythm was the fuzztone.

More than just distortion, sustain. To be able to hold a note infinitely it felt.

The left switch on the VOX pedal gave you that sustaining power.
So Cal bands: Iron Butterfly, Children of the Mushroom and Spirit were those that clearly stood out with its sound.

Dunlop's pedal was Jimi Hendrix, Robert Fripp to name a few's favorite
fuzz.  

Then came the sustaining 'E-Bow', a hand held device that plays upon the pick-ups' magnets and steel strings.
I was re-inspired.
The first I heard its effect was on the strings of Steve Hackett's guitar on Genesis' 'Carpet Crawler'. 
 Applied live on Bill Nelson's Be Bop Deluxe guitar...
I had to have one.
Still do.

Wish I still had my VOX Super Beatle and pedal.