Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Come fry with me...


I knew nothing of the Japanese music scene 'til I heard ' The Sadistic Mika Band' on Guy Guden's 'Space Pirate Radio' show. His Sunday into Monday morning shows (midnight to 6) during the Seventies introduced me to contemporary music from around the globe... a welcoming venture from America's 70's rock-pop stalemate.
Learning of new music for me was like a sports fanatic knowing a player's stats and team trades,  I'd retain their foreign names and future collaborations.
Kazuhiko Kato and wife (Sadistic) Mika introduced me to drummer Yukihiro Takahashi, who later formed 'Yellow Magic Orchestra' with Haruomi Hosono and Ryuichi Sakamoto, a techno band with a sense of style and humor beyond.
Ryuichi Sakamoto, whose film scores and collaborations (from Iggy Pop to David Sylvian) were well worth following.



Moving from 'Dawn, Day, Sunset to Night', Sakamoto's piano and electronics of
'Comica' is a new ambient favorite of mine.